THE MODERN HONOLULU makes an ideal location from which to soak up summer holidays in Hawaii. And what could be more iconic than venturing to “The Gathering Place” of The Pacific—Oahu—to experience the July 4th weekend? The number of customized travel experiences that THE MODERN HONOLULU can arrange for your visit is staggering any time of year, but for July 4th holiday, there's fireworks from the pool deck, live music in The Study and the always popular Grey Goose Day Club. This is one of our favorite itineraries for a great weekend:
● One, Two, Three, Fore! Start your first morning in paradise by swinging the golf clubs on any one of Oahu’s coveted golf courses. There are affordable, municipal courses within walking distance of Waikiki, private country clubs (with available walk-on tee times) just beyond the bustle, and PGA courses around the isle all awaiting your arrival. Imagine a morning round followed by a late lunch at Morimoto Waikiki. The hotel’s concierge team can help arrange tee times.
● Surfin’ U.S.A.: From your al fresco lunch at Morimoto Waikiki, you’ll notice the gentle waves rolling onto Oahu’s South Shore—making it the best place on the planet to learn how to surf. THE MODERN HONOLULU’s pool attendants, waiters and waitresses, bell men and valet are happy to share their favorite breaks and how you can get there. We can help arrange everything from board rental to personal guided surf trips up and down the coast.
● Storm the Summits: From water adventures to land, you can hit a nearby summit trail for a local hike like Manoa Falls or the Ko‘olau Summit Trail. Hiking is a local pastime with no shortage of opportunity (and skill level) here in Honolulu. There are gentle, rolling trails that skirt the coastline or delve into the thick rainforest canopy. Looking for something with thrills? Cliff-side hikes take you up onto the ridges overlooking the entire island.
● First Friday’s Art Event: Head to vibrant Chinatown where artists and galleries open their doors to all the first Friday of each month, generally offering free wine and tours of new works. Painters, sculptors, glass artists, tattoo shops and boutiques often feature live entertainment and are eager to talk about their latest commissions and bodies of work, meet people from around the globe and kick back with a glass of wine.
● Rocket’s Red Glare: If the sights and sounds of fireworks on July 4th thrill you, then there’s no need to head any further than THE MODERN HONOLULU’s pool deck (or Morimoto Waikiki) to take in fireworks displays. The weekly Friday night show over the Duke Kahanamoku Beach & Lagoon is perfectly seen from the hotel, and on July 4th, the massive Ala Moana Beach Park show is viewable as well.
● Imbibe on The Classics and Live Music: THE MODERN HONOLULU’s “hidden” speakeasy, The Study, brings the bookshelf to the cocktail menu with an array of literature-inspired cocktails. Famous mixologist Tony Abou-Ganim (and other notable experts) crafted specialty drinks for this moody lounge that features local musicians that keep the vibe on chill mode. Whether you lean towards a “Wuthering Heights” or a “Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” we’ve got something for you.
● Pamper Package: The “morning after” might call for some serious rejuvenation. Head to The Spa @ THE MODERN HONOLULU for a complete day of treatments, including a traditional Hawaiian lomi lomi massage, oxygen facial, scrumptious spa fare crafted by the hotel’s executive chef and finish with nail and hair styling for the big night out. Adjacent to The Spa is the coveted Sunset Pool, a stunning oasis complete with daybeds, a wading pool, swaying palm trees and your own private thatched-roof bar.
● Grey Goose Day Club at THE MODERN HONOLULU: Put the exclamation point on your holiday weekend and join us at the Sunset Pool (Level 2) for our Sunday Celebration. The pool, named one of the best in the country by USA Today, is home to the Grey Goose Day Club. Be sure to check out the action July 5, starting at 12:00 p.m. At 1 p.m., there will be a special performance by O.A.R.!