BEST WHALE WATCHING IN HAWAII Honolulu
BY LAND OR SEA, HERE ARE THE BEST PLACES TO WATCH WHALES
We’re comfortable saying it — whales are the BIGGEST attraction in Hawaii during the winter months. (We’re being literal. They are VERY big.) And as with any attraction, it pays a lot to know a little about the humpback whales’ migration before you embark on some whale watching in Hawaii. Here are some fun tips to get you started .
What We Love:
- In the fall, humpback whales swim 3,500 miles from Alaska to Hawaii
- The whales spend the winter months breeding then calving and nursing their young in Hawaiian waters
- From November to April, Oahu visitors can watch this migration
exclusive OFFERS for members
The best offers, discounts and packages are available only to members of our Friends With Benefits Rewards program. Join free today and get instant access.JOIN free to see the OFFERS
It takes less than a second to join!
THE MODERN HONOLULU concierge will gladly arrange your whale watching excursions with the hotel’s preferred partner, Hawaii Nautical, which offers pick-up and drop-off transportation for guests. The outfitter’s motto: “Whales Guaranteed, or Come Again Free.” The two-hour excursion offers three different Waikiki departure times..
The best whale watching in Hawaii often happens on Oahu’s shores. Hiking enthusiasts can usually spot whales from the island’s southeastern coast. Makapuu Lighthouse and Hanauma Bay offer several seaside overlooks that provide a distant vantage. Closer to THE MODERN HONOLULU, whales can be seen off the “Cliffs” surf break near Diamond Head.
Humpback whales are an endangered species. Hawaii Governor Benjamin Cayetano and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration designated portions of the waters surrounding Oahu, Kauai, Maui County and the Island of Hawaii as the Hawaiian Island Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary to protect this species in 1997.
IN SHORT / WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
- Going on a whale watching excursion? Bring plenty of sun protection.
- Thwart motion sickness. Bring a patch, or take a pill the hour and night before your excursion, even if you’re not sure you’ll need it.
- Regulations prohibit boats from approaching within 100 yards of a whale.
Address: 1125 Ala Moana Blvd., Honolulu, HI 96814
Web Address: www.hawaiinautical.com
Distance/Drive: Several locations in Waikiki, Hilton Hawaiian Village and West Oahu